Jason Guenzel is an avid, award-winning astrophotographer, specializing in bringing the beautiful views of the universe down to Earth to share with the community. Over the last decade, he has pushed the boundaries of amateur astrophotography by showing what’s truly possible with today’s increasingly more accessible gear. As an engineer by trade, he has enjoyed the technical challenges of this artistic process and is always willing to lend a hand or provide personal guidance to those in need.
Jason Guenzel joins Scott Roberts for an evening of astrophotography outreach, and to answer questions about gear and technique.
"I commend the creative and artistic choices made by the photographer in both the colour palette and the highlighting of the prominence with an enhanced atmospheric layer. The final image is spectacular."
- Ed Robinson, Award-winning photographer, creative director, visual consultant and founder of OneRedEye Visual Communications
Jason’s desire to share these views came out of pure curiosity about the universe surrounding us, and began with one humble and crude attempt to point a camera at the sky. Once realizing that night-sky photography allows exploration into the farthest reaches of time and space with just a few steps into the backyard, his curiosity blossomed into a passionate effort that consumes every moment of clear sky opportunity.
The work Jason shares demonstrates the incredible breadth of subject matter available to an astrophotographer. His images include galaxies, nebulae, the Moon, the Sun, comets, planets, satellites, and terrestrial nightscapes. Many of these have been featured and published online and in print.
Most recently, he has been employing an Explore Scientific AR152 for highly detailed views of the Sun. In fact, this work has also been internationally recognized and published.
- 2019 Astronomy Photographer of the Year – Insight Investments / Royal Museums Greenwich 3 shortlisted images and museum displays “Our Sun” category “Highly Commended” Award
- Astrobin.com Online Astrophotography Community 15+ “Image of the Day” selections, 30+ “Top Pick” showcased images.
- Sky&Telescope Magazine – Published
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year: Collection 8 – Published
- 2020 Mackinac State Historic Parks Artist-In-Residence Program – Astrophotography Outreach