Galileoscope Refractor Telescope 50mm
- Galileoscope telescope kit includes all of the parts and instructions needed for young explorers to build their own 50mm refractor
- Assembly is quick and requires no tools or adhesives
- Enjoy views of the lunar surface, Jupiter’s Galilean moons, Saturn’s rings and bright star clusters
- Kit includes a 20x eyepiece and a custom accessory that can be assembled as a 2x Barlow lens for a power of 50x or a 17x Galilean eyepiece with a right-side-up field of view less than 1/2° wide so the user can experience the views Galileo had of the the expansive night sky
- Learn basic optical concepts, including how lenses form images and how magnification affects field of view
The Original Galileoscope, Developed by Leading Astronomers, Optical Designers, and Educators
"I am surprised that my Galileoscope has become my working scope. Yet, I am reminded of what we often hear in the amateur astronomy community - The best telescope is the one you use most." - David O. Treviño, Cloudy Nights
School Children use the Galileoscope in Flagstaff, ArizonaPhoto: Stephen M. Pompea, NOAO
Created as a cornerstone project for the 2009 International Year of Astronomy (IYA), the Galileoscope telescope kit solved a long-standing problem: the lack of a high-quality, low-cost kit suitable for both optics education and celestial observation. The Galileoscope was also a cornerstone project of the 2015 International Year of Light (IYL).
Over the course of the project managed by volunteers and promoted mainly through word-of-mouth, more than a quarter-million Galileoscope kits have been distributed to teachers, students, and other enthusiasts in more than 110 countries for science education and public outreach.
The program was only expected to last through the IYA, but the global astronomy education and outreach community loved the kit and asked its creators (Stephen M. Pompea, Richard Tresch Fienberg, Douglas N. Arion, Thomas C. Smith, and Douglas Isbell) to keep it in production, and after nearly ten years of serving the educational STEM community that team was preparing to wind down.
But the demand by the educational community has remained strong, and a search ensued to find a worthy successor of the Galileoscope. Explore Scientific was approached in late 2018 to take over manufacturing and distribution, and we both felt the project was a good fit for Explore Scientific.
Now we can ensure that educators and students around the world can continue the legacy of unlocking the learning process of exploring the universe with telescopes that people assemble themselves with the original Galileoscope Kit!
|Objective diameter||50 mm (2 inches)|
|Objective focal length||500 mm (f/10)|
|Eyepiece focal length||20 mm|
|Magnification||25x (50x with Barlow)|
|Field of view||1 1/2° (3/4° with Barlow)|
|Eyepiece eye relief||16 mm (22 mm with Barlow)|
|Eyepiece barrel diameter||1 1/4 inches (31 3/4 mm)|
Limited Warranty is one year, which converts to the Explore STAR Transferable Extended Life of the Product Warranty when product is registered within 60 days of purchase. Click Here to register.
CA Residents: Prop 65 WARNING(S)